The online social arena is full of opportunities to gain exposure, build a strong reputation and drive traffic back to your website. Once you’ve signed up with the right social media sites, start getting involved, connected and noticed. Participate regularly and with care in order to grow relationships and a following. And always include your Yola site address in your social posts and profiles.
How Is Socializing Important to Website Traffic?
Every time you post, tweet or otherwise engage, you give readers the chance to click a link to your website. Better yet, they may also repost, retweet or otherwise send people to your site. The more people who share links to your website—known as “backlinks”—the higher you’ll score in organic search results!
Participate Thoughtfully and Often
How you socialize may be even more important than how often. It shapes your online identity, determining whether or not you will enjoy the attention, respect and referrals of others. Earn trust and popularity online by showing that you are credible, sincere and kind (at least polite). Contribute original content as often as possible, and avoid sounding salesy. In sum, make your reputation work for you, not against you.
6 Ways to Get Connected, Stay Involved
STOP – Before You Share Anything: Include a link to your website in all of your online profiles, posts and other communications.
1. Make friends
In online communities, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn:
- Engage people who communicate about your area of interest.
- Connect with members of relevant groups.
- Join clubs, circles and organizations to make it easier to meet and interact with members.
- Check out the people and companies that your connections are following. You may want to follow or otherwise connect with them too.
TIP √ If you belong to any offline associations, like BNI, participate in their online communities too.
2. Keep Current
- Follow people, companies and organizations of interest on social sites like Twitter, Flickr and Facebook.
- Subscribe to or follow YouTube and Vimeo channels.
- Keep up on blogs by checking them regularly, subscribing or setting up an RSS feed.
TIP √ Set up a feed to see new content whenever any is added to a blog. Click the RSS icon, usually on the blog’s home page. You’ll need a feed reader—like the free Bloglines, My Yahoo! or Google Reader—to view and organize your feed info.
- Join relevant conversations on Facebook fan pages, Twitter, blogs and other social venues online.
- Jump in to the discussion, contributing pertinent answers, comments, links, jokes, advice or anything else of value.
- Start conversations by posing compelling questions to the group.
- Host Tweetups, and invite friends and followers.
- Offer to guest post on noteworthy blogs with a following.
TIP √ Display your picture next to your blog comments and posts by using Gravatar.
√ In your email signature, include your website URL and invite people to connect with you on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
- Set attainable goals for yourself. For instance, resolve to post at least once a day on Facebook and LinkedIn, and three times daily on Twitter.
- Check in at businesses and other locations you visit, using Foursquare, Open Table and Yelp. Advise people on what to do there or write a review.
- Write reviews on popular shopping and entertainment sites like Amazon, Netflix and Flixster.
- Post interesting links from your website or blog on Delicious.
- Email contacts and friends periodically to update them. Tell them to let you know if they’d rather not receive updates in the future, and you’ll remove them from the list.
TIP √ If you start a pinboard, make your pins as interesting, and re-pinnable as possible.
5. Show support
- “Like” Facebook Fan Pages and posts related to your area of expertise.
- Create searches for your most important keywords on Twitter or in Tweetdeck, so you can respond to related questions or give encouragement.
- Link to other blogs and websites. Retweet.
- Email followers to thank them when they contribute on your blog or other social pages.
- Give recommendations on LinkedIn (you may just receive some in return!).
TIP √ Receive Support Too! Make it easy for visitors to share your content and link back to your site. Use the Share Me widget to add them easily.
6. Attend virtual events
- Sign up for events on Facebook, LinkedIn and Meetup.
- Post your RSVPs to your social pages.
- Invite others to attend, whenever possible.
Next in this series about driving traffic to your Yola site:
Strategy #4: Mind Your Marketing (coming soon, so check back)
After the “Drive Traffic to Your Yola Site” series, we’ll be featuring posts on how to get the most out of the top social networks. You’ll see examples and learn practical tips and how-tos to send you on your way.
Want to Learn More?
“5 Tips for More Impact from Social Media Participation” by Lee Odden, Top Rank Online Marketing Blog
“100 Effective Ways to Promote Your Personal Brand for Free” by Marieke Hensel, BrandingPersonality.com
“How to Follow a Blog with or without RSS” by Annabel Candy, SuccessfulBlogging.com
“How to Increase Your Search Rank Using Social Media” by Jasmine Sandler, Mashable.com