Google Webmaster Tools
will help you to manage Google's indexing of your site. Yola has made it possible for you to take advantage of Google Webmaster's website optimization tools. In this tutorial, we will give you step-by-step instructions on how to verify your site and submit a Sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools.
Step 1: Verifying Your Site with Google Webmaster
If your site is not yet published to the web, you will have to do so first, because you will need the URL (web address) during the verification process. If you have not published your site yet, please follow the steps in this tutorial : Publishing Your Site
. If you plan on purchasing a custom domain
to publish to before getting found on Google, now would be the perfect opportunity.”
Once your site is published, you will see the URL on the top left-hand corner of the Sitebuilder. If you click on that link, it will open up your site on the web.
Copy the URL - in our example, it is http://zekdesigns.yolasite.com - and head on over to Google Webmaster Tools
to get started. If you do not have a Google account, you will have to create one, otherwise sign in with your Google login details.
On the Webmaster Tools homepage, you will see a welcome message and below it, a box to add your site's URL. Paste or type the URL into the box and click on "Add A Site".
The verification screen will open up. You need to verify that you are the owner of the website you have just added.
Please use the code that is displayed on your Google Webmaster account, otherwise it will not verify your site. Make sure that you have copied everything between the quotation marks.
1. Click on the "Alternate methods" tab.
2. Select "HTML tag". Please ignore the instructions that Google provides, as it is slightly different in Yola, and follow the steps
3. Copy the portion of the tag next to "content," between the quotation marks. In our example, the section to copy is vDEFASlzekmknyZVwJK82Ecty45wNGsUGMl1ErEJ1K4.
Now that you have the verification code, you need to add it to your Yola site. Here are the steps to do it :
1. Go back to your Yola site and make sure you are in the Sitebuilder. (Keep Google Webmaster open in a separate window.)
2. Then go to Site > Tracking > Google Webmaster.
3. Paste the verification code into the space provided.
4. Click on "Save" to save the code to your site.
5. In the Sitebuilder, click on "Publish."
D. Once you have added your code to Yola, go back to Webmaster Tools. Click on the "Verify" button at the bottom of the page. If you have verified your site correctly, you will see the message "Congratulations, you have successfully verified your ownership…".
Click on the "Continue" link underneath the message. This will take you to the "Site Dashboard" page.
Step 2 : Submitting a Sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools
When you publish your site, Yola generates a Sitemap for the site. This is not something you will notice when your site is published, because it happens "behind the scenes". You can submit your Sitemap to Google, using Google Webmaster Tools. Doing this, will give Google more information about your site. If you want to find out more about Sitemaps and why these are useful to Google, please see About Sitemaps
The Sitemap for your published site, is the site's URL (web address), followed by "/sitemap.xml". In our example, the Sitemap will be : http://posteddesigns.yolasite.com/sitemap.xml.
To submit your Sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools :
1. Log into your Google Webmaster Tools account.
2. Make sure you are on the "Site Dashboard" page.
3. Click on "Sitemaps". This will open up the Sitemaps screen. Make sure that you have the correct site selected. You will find the name of the selected site, just above the red "Add/Test Sitemap" button
4. Click on "Add/Test Sitemap". A screen will open up, with the name of the selected site, enter "sitemap.xml" (without the " ") in the space provided.
5. Click on "Submit Sitemap". You will see a "Sitemap submitted" message.
Congratulations! You have now successfully verified your site and submitted a Sitemap, using Google Webmaster Tools. Once Google crawls your site, you will be able to log into your Google Webmaster account to see data that will help you to optimize your site for Google.
Where do I get more information on how Google Webmaster works?
Help! Google Webmaster gives me errors and I don't know what they mean!