Tutorial: Adding alt text to pictures
Search engines cannot "see" pictures, they read text. You can help the search engines "see" the topic of your pictures by giving them something called an "alternate attribute" or "alternate text".
If you added the picture using the Picture Widget, you can add alt text as follows:
- Click on the Picture Widget in your page, and then click "Edit" in the top left corner.
- Under "Alternative Text", enter your description in the box provided.
- When you have typed in your text, click "Save".
- Click the "HTML" button at the end of the Text Editing Toolbar.
- The HTML Editor willl open up with the HTML codes for your Text Widget. Look for the code for your image. It will start with <image scr = "
- Edit the code so that it looks like this: <img src="filename.gif" alt="Alternative description goes here">
- Add your alt text in place of the portion between the quotes in bold.
- When you are done, click "Save".