Setting up your email with Google Apps
Google Apps offers businesses the opportunity to purchase mailboxes at $50 per mailbox per year (or $5 per user per month). This includes 24/7 support, 25GB inboxes and a 99.9% uptime guarantee.
- If you don't want to use Gmail's web interface, you can configure the settings so email downloads to your email client on your computer (see information in the FAQs below).
- If you prefer to use Yola's email service, Yola Mail, please click on this link for more information. Please note: Yola Mail is not available to partner programs.
- For more information on Google Apps, here is a link to Google Apps FAQ.
Once you have created an account and verified ownership, the Google Apps setup wizard will walk you through the DNS updates you will need to make. Verifying your domain means that you need to paste a code that Google provides into a box in the Advanced DNS Settings for your domain on your Yola account.
To sign up for a free 30-day trial of Google Apps:
- Go to https://apps.google.com/.
- Click Get Started.
- Fill in the signup form.
- Select Use a domain name I have already purchased.
- Enter the domain name.
- Create the Google Apps account by completing the username and password fields as indicated.
- Click Next.
- Create your account
Your Google Apps account gives you access to (among other applications): Gmail, Drive and Docs and Google Calendar. Next, you need to verify ownership of your domain.
- Click Set up email for your domain , then under the Setup on your own column, click next.
- Click Start located next to 'Add people to your Google Apps account '.
- Complete user accounts for your team as needed, then click the checkbox below and click next.
- The Google Apps setup wizard will send emails to your team informing them of the mailbox setup. Complete the recipient mailbox email addresses to be notified as needed. Then click Next.
- To verify your domain and email setup, click Choose a different method.
- Select Add a domain host record and select the TXT or CNAME option. Here is an example of what the TXT record looks like: google-site-verification=HVghkaHooXB-Qc24999Jo7PlvKinYSsqk4LTaWXS67U.
- Copy the TXT record provided.
- The TXT record should be applied to the Advanced settings of your domain in Yola. You can locate your domain's advanced settings by logging into Yola and clicking Domains along the top menu bar.
- Next to the domain, click Advanced settings.
- Under the heading "Setup email for your domain", click Configure email yourself.
- Click Gmail (Google Apps) and paste the TXT record into the area provided and click Submit. In order to set up Google Apps, we will automatically add a number of MX records to your DNS settings. If you have any existing MX records, they will be overwritten.
- Return to your Google Apps account and click the Verify button that was visible on the same page as the Google Apps TXT record you've just added to your DNS settings. Your domain will now be verified and you can start using the Google Apps mail services.
- You will be directed to a "Google Apps Setup Guide" page. You can go through it now or later to understand how Google Apps works. If you want to leave it for now and continue with setting up your email, click Skip this Guide.
- Back on your Google Apps Dashboard, click on "Activate email" underneath the Email link.
- The next page will be your Dashboard again. You'll see "Updating" next to your Email link and it may take up to 48 hours for Google Apps to verify your domain (usually quicker than that). If Google Apps doesn't verify your domain, you'll need to check that the settings were added correctly or you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can check it for you.
- To create email accounts, click Create new users or click the User accounts tab.
- Fill in the necessary info and click Create account. More info and steps on this link: Google Apps Help.
- Your users can access their email accounts at: http://mail.google.com/a/mysite.com with "mysite.com" being your domain name.
- You can administer your Google Apps account at: http://google.com/a/mysite.com with "mysite.com" being your domain name.
I don't want to use Google Apps, can I use another email service?
Definitely! The MX records added in the DNS console can be deleted and you can add your own. Alternatively, try Yola Mail: Setting up your email with Yola Mail.
I don't want to use the web interface on Gmail, how do I download it to my email client on my computer?
Google Apps has all the steps on this link.