Custom Domain - will it help with SEO?
Having the right domain name is very important and should be considered carefully.
When choosing a domain name with SEO in mind you should:
- Consider the length of the domain name you choose. Will people be able to remember it or easily type it in when searching for your website?
- Consider using your business name for your URL (domain name) as long as your business name isn't Schufengachemigen Inc., who could ever remember schufengachemigen.com? If your business name has been taken by another website consider part of your business name plus a general keyword that describes what you offer.
- Consider using a general keyword plus another word tacked onto the end.
- Consider very carefully the use of multiple hyphens in a domain name and avoid if possible. Hyphenating keywords in a domain name such as travel-south-america-easy-free.com does not promote credibility, appears spam like and is difficult to type.
- To maximize traffic to your site, you should consider investing in your own custom domain name. A shorter web address makes it easier for your visitors to remember and spell, and stands out more in the search engine results. Your site will appear more professional, and some SEO research suggests that sites with their own domain rank better than sites published to subdomains.
Note that buying a domain does not guarantee a certain search engine ranking and all the tips in this series should still be done to enhance your SEO.
If you're ready to purchase a custom domain name from Yola: Buy a domain name from Yola!