Measuring website traffic with analytics tools
Why should you add site analytics? A lot of people want to know how many people have been onto their site and tend to use hit counters. The information provided can be quite limited, and isn't as accurate as using analytics for your site.
Yola provides you with two analytic tools for free - SiteWit and Analytics.
SiteWit is a comprehensive tool that allows you to view the daily traffic to your site as well as build a Search Engine Marketing (SEM) campaign.
SEM means that you create ads that can display on other websites. For example, if your site is about janitorial services in Pasadena, you can create an ad with Google AdWords. That ad can then be displayed to potential customers through the Google AdWords network when people use your keywords. Because this is direct advertising, you pay for it, usually by Pay Per Click (PPC) or Cost Per Impression (CPI).
You can easily access your SiteWit statistics by doing the following:
- Login to your account.
- You need to ensure you have published your site first.
- Once you've published your site, go to your My Yola page. Hover over the Site Traffic tab along the top of your page and select SiteWit.
- You will be taken to a page where you can create your free SiteWit account. Enter the details on the right-hand side and select Continue to your free SiteWit account.
- Immediately, you will see your analytics dashboard where you can view your SEO stats and opt in to create campaigns to drive further traffic to your site.
- Once you've signed up, you can view the statistics of each site!
Analytics is also a SiteWit application but doesn't include the SEM campaign statistics like it does above. Analytics allows you to view the amount of traffic your site is getting. This includes statistics on Visitors, Unique Visitors Change, Visits, Pageviews and more. In order to see this feature, please follow these steps:
- In your Sitebuilder, click Menu.
- Click Analytics.
- You will see a list of sites that you can choose from to view the statistics.
- Click on the desired site.
- You will see the analytic output for that site.
If you decide that you would rather add a hit counter, you will need to do some HTML coding to add this to your site. These Google Search results offer a variety of suggestions you can use. Once you have the HTML code you would like to use, you can add this to an HTML widget. Here's how:
- Go to Widgets.
- Select Popular from the drop-down menu.
- Drag and drop an HTML widget onto your page
- Paste the code into the HTML editor.
- Save and preview your page to view the hit counter.
Adding Google Analytics:
Another alternative is to use Google Analytics. We provide step-by-steps instructions for Google Analytics to your site here: Adding Analytics.