Tutorial: Setting up the PayPal e-commerce Widgets
Yola offers a powerful and highly customizable premium online store, which includes a multitude of supported currencies, language support for 40 languages and inventory management.
For more information on how to get started with the premium Online Store, take a look at our FAQ.
If you are just getting started with e-commerce, you can sell your products or collect donations for a charity using the free Basic PayPal widgets. By simply dragging and dropping these widgets you can easily create your own online store.
There are three Basic PayPal widgets that you can use on your site:
Add this to your page to display more than one product for sale.
Allows people to make donations and contributions to your cause.
Displays a single product for sale.
To be able to use these widgets you need to sign up on www.paypal.com for a free Premier or Business account (a link is provided from Yola - see below). Once your account with PayPal has been created, you are ready to add PayPal buttons to your site.
Register with PayPal.com1. Go to Widgets.
2. From the drop-down menu, click Ecommerce.
3. There are three options available: PayPal Catalog, Donation, and PayPal Product.
4. Drag and drop your chosen widget onto your page.
5. The PayPal dialog box will open.
6. Click the Get one now link to get a PayPal account.
7. On the PayPal screen click the Start Now link. This will take you to a screen where you can create your account.
8. Fill in all your personal information and create your account.
Add the PayPal widgets to your site
2.1. Adding the PayPal Product widget
- Drag and drop a PayPal Product widget onto your page.
- A dialog box will open and you can enter the following information:
- Your PayPal email address. This is the email address you use to access your PayPal account.
- A product a title. This should be as brief and accurate a name for the product you are selling as possible. Important Note: Each of your products must have a unique title and description. If you give your products the same title or description they will be added to the cart as the same product.
- The price of the item.
- A description the of product. Use the description field to add further relevant details about the product.
- You can also upload an image of the product. A clear, well-taken photograph will go a long way towards selling your product!
- Use the radio buttons in the bottom-left corner of the dialog box to set the alignment of your widget.
- When you have finished editing your settings, click Save to add all the product information.
- A PayPal Buy Now button will be added to your page.
- If you need to go back and edit the settings of a widget already added to the page, click Edit on the top left corner of the widget.
2.2. Adding the PayPal Product Catalog Widget
- Drag and drop a PayPal Catalog widget onto your page.
- A dialog box will open where you can add your PayPal email address as well as start to add details of the products you are selling.
- Click Click here to add one or + Add Product button to begin adding your products.
- You can then add, and edit, the settings of the particular product you are selling. Important Note: Each of your products must have a unique Title and Description. If you give your products the same Title or Description they will be added to the cart as the same product.
- Continue to add products to your page until you are satisfied with the number of products you have added.
- Click Save to add the catalog to your page.
- You can easily go back and edit the settings, or add more products, by clicking Edit on the top left corner of the PayPal Catalog widget.
2.3. Adding the Donation widget
- Drag and drop a Donation widget onto your page.
- A dialog box will open, where you can enter your PayPal email address. This is the email address you use to access your PayPal account.
- Click Save to add the widget to your page.
- If you need to go back and change the PayPal email address used to setup the widget, click Edit on the top left corner of the Donation widget.
Publish your site!
To test any of your PayPal buttons simply save and preview your page. When someone wants to purchase a product they will click on the "Buy Now" button and will be taken to the PayPal checkout facility to complete their purchase.
When you are satisfied with your store, you can put your site online and start selling! For more information on publishing, please see our tutorial Publishing Your Site.
The Basic PayPal widgets give you an opportunity to start selling your goods online, and become familiar with how e-commerce works. Set yours up and start your online business today!