Adding SSL certificates to your siteHaving SSL (Secure Socket Layer) is an important feature to have on your website as it encrypts all data transferred online. This means your visitor's data (such as addresses, payment information, etc..) is protected against monitoring and tampering. Having SSL increases your customer's trust and gives them peace of mind as they are browsing through your site. In addition, secure sites reap an additional boost in search engine rankings!
How to add:1. In the Sitebuilder, go to Settings > Publishing.
2. Under "Enable SSL", slide the toggle button to the right.
3. Republish your site and you should see the https:// in front of your domain URL.
How do I know if the SSL feature is working?When you visit your published site, you should see a green padlock in the address bar.
What kind of domains can SSL be used with?The SSL feature is only available on domains managed by Yola such as the Yola subdomains or custom domains purchased through Yola.
How much does the SSL feature cost?It's free for all Yola users!
I have a pointed domain, how can I use the SSL feature?
If you would like to add SSL to your pointed domain, you can use the free SSL certificate provided by Cloudflare. To do this, you will need to create a Cloudflare account and add the domain to the account. Cloudflare will assign two nameservers to the domain which need to be updated in the control panel at your domain host.
Please follow these steps (which may vary):
- Sign up for a Cloudflare account here.
- If you've already signed up, you can log in here.
- You should receive a message that says "You currently don't have any websites".
- Click on the blue Add Site button.
- Enter your domain name and click Next.
- Select the Free plan.
- Cloudflare will assign two name servers to your domain. They should look like something like this: tegan.ns.cloudflare.com and will.ns.cloudflare.com
Also, in the Cloudflare control panel, go to the Crypto section and then enable "Always use https":
Please note that it may take time for the changes to your DNS records to propagate, which may lead to temporary SSL or security errors (this is expected as the changes are applied).
Important: the Cloudflare SSL service is provided as a third-party solution and is not managed by Yola. If you have difficulties adding the records to the domain, please contact your registrar for assistance.