General Design Tips
Designing a website can be very fun, whether you are just getting started with website building or you have had experience. Here are a few tips to get you on the right path to making attractive Yola websites. Keep in mind your reasons for creating a website in the first place - the aim of your site should dictate the manner in which you approach its design.
By now you must have some idea of what it is that you wish to achieve by having a website. Whether it's to raise the online profile of your company, promote and sell your services or products on the web, or just jot down your daily ramblings in a blog, the aim of your site should dictate the manner in which you approach the design and building of it.
- Organise your material ahead of time - placing images and documents into folders.
- Keep your navigation simple, precise and well ordered. Leave room for new sections.
- Avoid the use of overly long text - not many folks have the ability to read reams of information on-screen.
- Look & Learn. Look at other websites and learn what works well (and doesn't!).
- Choose an appropriate Style for your website. There are 100+ templates available, so you should find something suitable.
- Be consistent in your use of colour, image treatment and tone of voice.
- Ensure that your copy is easy to read. Use the two-column widget to split content into columns. Avoid fancy fonts and excessive use of gaudy colour.
- Avoid large image, video or audio files. Be sure to optimise all files. For images, use 72dpi and jpeg as a guide. Try to keep your page lighter than 300k.
- No-nos: Too many animations, under-construction signs, slow page downloads, grammatical & spelling errors, centred text paragraphs, and empty pages.
For more information on this topic, read our tutorial Elements of Good Website Design.