Many of you have told us you’re interested in making it easier for visitors to find your site, and that you’d like your site to feel professional. You can achieve both of these goals with your personal web address, also known as a custom domain.
I’m excited to let you know that we’ve expanded our domains product offering so you can more easily find a name for your site, get names with extensions other than .com, and secure your website address for years to come.
- Find a website name: Sometimes the first name that comes to mind isn’t available. To make it easier to come up with another one you like, we’ll show you a list of available options.
- End with more than .com: You can now register domains with .net, .org, .biz, and, of course, .com extensions. And we’ll automatically configure the domains for you.
- Get multiple domains: You can assign more than one domain name to your site, which will all redirect users to your primary site. This can also help visitors find you and improve search engine ranking.
- Lock in your domains: To ensure you keep your web site name for years to come, you can register your domain for up to 10 years. By doing so, you’ll save up to 20% and save yourself the hassle of renewing every year.
- Keep your registration private: When you own a domain name, your contact details are publicly disclosed via the WHOIS database, which can result in unwanted emails. With private registration, we place alternate information in the public database — so only relevant messages are forwarded and your junk email is reduced.
To take advantage of these new options, select “Buy my own domain name” when you first publish your site or “Upgrade to your own domain” when you update your existing site.